Thursday, February 22, 2007

Random thursday musings.

Did you know that, on average, men use approximately 7,000 words a day while women use around 20,000?

I wonder if this blog counts toward my total? Regardless, I think that I probably help keep the women's average up. That's been a part of my personality (my "loquaciousness," according to one friend) that I've been very embarrassed about at times but - I think? - have come to accept as just being part of who I am.

Of course, there are the moments where I realize that I'm gushing words, seemingly without being able to stop. Those are the moments where the little voice inside is saying, "stop. stop talking. Stop Talking. STOP TALKING!!!!!" I had one of those moments today. Sigh.

Anyway. The big-word-friend from above suggested that I blog about a topic that I was passionately orating on today (while he stuck to minimal grunts in order to keep his word total low): Modeling.

Nope, not fashion modeling, but the kind of modeling we ALL do EVERY day.

Do you ever stop to think about what messages you are giving out? Have you ever considered what your actions are saying about you, how they are swaying others, or what younger people are learning from you???

It's not my place to judge anybody and I certainly wouldn't want that responsibility. However, I recognize changes in our world that are not all positive. Whose "fault" are they? Doesn't matter. We EACH have a chance to be part of the solutions, or part of a "better way." Please let me encourage you to be intentional in the choices you make in order to help move our world in a more positive direction.

Consider:
How do you treat people, especially those who are in service positions? Do you gossip or talk meanly about people?

How much do you drink? When? Where? Are there ever underage people around? Do you talk about drinking in front of underage people - and if so, how do you frame it for them?

How hard do you work? Do you stay positive on the job? Do you look for solutions or just point out problems?

Are you exercising, eating well and taking care of your body overall? What are your choices for hobbies? How often do you make the choice to be healthy?

Do you follow through with what you say you're going to do? Are you honest and honorable? Do you live with integrity?

What are you not comfortable with in your life right now? What choice(s) do you need to make to make that situation right for you?


I could go on for eons, but I think you get the drift. I invite you to strive with me to ponder these questions and make some choices so that we may be intentional in this world of our creation.

1 comment:

Amy Soper said...

Lou,
Did you stay up too late again? Glad to know you're keeping the word count up. And, some deep thoughts there. Thanks for hanging out last night!

~ The Quirky Brunette
(I.E., not the dumb blonde)