Monday, March 17, 2008

White, Green and Reflective...

On St. Patrick's day, we often think about the "little people..." but usually we're thinking about little green people. Still, I need to share with you a quote from one of my most PC friends....one that confused me greatly at first...

You see, we were walking downtown for a bowl of soup, and in the middle of my sentence he interjected, "I'm a believer in the little white people." Now, I don't know about you, but that made NO sense to me, and I was a little surprised that he would say anything about "little" or "white" people...but comforted that he felt safe enough to share his biases. Even so, I questioned him: "WHAT are you talking about????" He stopped, walked over and pushed the button....so that we could wait for the little white guy to tell us that it was ok to cross the road. Thanks, RM, for the life lesson.




So, that lesson kept Kay and I safe in Chicago this weekend - well, mostly! We stumbled upon the St. Patrick's day parade, had to buy a sweatshirt (for me) and hats (for both of us) to enable us to walk around with general comfort.....


...and then got STUCK in the middle of a group of people who were merely trying to walk behind the crowds along the parade path. It was a pretty scary 30 minutes, while we stood pressed against the throng with people beginning to panic. Once someone in the front had the bearings to crawl up the fence and tell us to turn around and retreat to get somewhere (the police had blocked off the road ahead that we were all desperately trying to reach), our breathing eased and we again enjoyed the city.



My favorite part of Chicago was not the green, but the "bean" at Millenium Park. Simply gorgeous.


Fun for all ages, especially those irish dancers trying to build some muscle.


And you have to wonder.....just how far up DOES the inside go?????


Slainte!

No comments: