Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Broken doesn't mean useless.

Hey, all of you out there who believe in conservation. And never throwing ANYTHING away. And re-using, re-cycling, etc. etc. etc. Here's a plug for you.

Never, never throw away a cell phone, even if it doesn't work right.

Tonight, I spent a very frustrating hour + trying to replace my cell phone at the mall. The cingular lady was very nice and helpful. The radio shack guy was "polite" with a definite undertone of being pissed that I was taking up his time. . .

In the end, I spent $5 at the Cingular store for a new SIM card, then $63 at Radio Shack to buy a pre-paid phone to put my SIM card in.

Then I came home and called my sister. . .and found that she had a cell phone that I could have. Darn it, I hate going to the mall. It's such a hassle.

I figured that I'd just make my trip to Indy/Columbus/Howell (cell phone pickup) this weekend without a phone. Inconvenient, but it's not like I didn't live without a cell phone for over 20 years of my life.

Then I realized that if I could put the SIM card in any Cingular phone, I could try it in my old phone.

I replaced that phone last fall because the displays died. First, nothing would show on the outside display. No time. No caller ID. Then nothing showed on the inside display. No time. No caller ID. NO PHONE BOOK ENTRIES. Nothing. I could make calls and take calls, but couldn't see any numbers!

Anyway, back to tonight. I'm thrilled because - although I was worried for the few minutes it took me to locate it - I DID save that cell phone and it WORKS with my new SIM card.

I LOVE that old cell phone. I may never throw it away.




Gizmo loves it too.

No comments: