Friday, January 12, 2007

Melon & Lessons

Do you like melon?

I do. But I don't eat it often.

Why? You might ask. Or you might not, if you don't care.

Anyway - I don't eat it often because it takes work. Hmm. Let's think about that for a minute. It takes work to cut it into slices. Even more work if you cut it into cubes without the rind. Hmm. I'm sweating already from the exertion.

As I made the effort tonight to cut apart a melon that's been in my frig for about 5 days - because I didn't want to work to cut it open - I really appreciated it.



I also remembered another reason I don't choose melon slices (of any variety - including watermelon) at times. . .because it's messy.

What a dumb reason not to eat a healthy sweet food: because, when you bite into the slice, the sides of it inevitably brush against your cheek and leave them all sticky. As much as I like sweet foods, I should jump at all sweets that are even slightly healthy.

As I ate my melon today I felt really good. I saw a few comparisons to my life, and didn't like them. In this month of resolutions, I'd like to publicly state that I will make the choice to do the work from now on. I will accept the mess. I will leave my comfort zone.

I will be eating a lot of melon.


(I will also post pictures later, when I either 1. figure out what setting I need to change on my computer to allow me to post again or 2. am able to use someone else's computer to post pictures)

1 comment:

Amy Soper said...

Do the work. Accept the mess. Leave your comfort zone. Heavy stuff. I'll have to borrow that mantra to repeat when I weaken toward my resolutions. We'll just have to support each other in our endeavors. I only hope there's enough melon to go 'round.