Sunday, January 7, 2007

Good friends. . .

. . .are a blessing.

I had the good fortune to split my time today between two wonderful groups of friends.

The first, a wonderfully welcoming family that I've, well, pretty much been a part of for the last 3 years. There was a baptism this morning that was incredibly beautiful, because it's just so right. The couple, the parenting, the family community. It's real and perfectly imperfect and beautiful.

This group is basically all paired up now. Quite honestly, I love this family, yet I often feel sad when I leave them now. As much fun as I've had with them, and as welcome as I have felt, I know that I'm going home alone.

My second group of friends today was born out of that sadness. This is a group of single people that I've had the fortune to connect with over the last several months. Being journalist-types, they're very well-rounded, fascinating people.

Ironically, while the first part of my day was spent sharing Shawn's beginning and initiation into the church, my second phase was an ending celebration and good-bye party for Jesse as he goes into his final day as an intern tomorrow.

It'll be sad to see him leave. But change can be very good too, it can help shake up our patterns and in doing so, can help us find a new, exciting way.

I hope Jesse enjoys the next fantastic station on his path. Namaste, my friend.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Lou, what a nice comment about the Baptism. Thank you so much. You are a wonderful friend. I hope you know you are very much a part of our family. We're glad you were there to celebrate this very important day in Shawn's life. Shawn is very lucky to have a wonderful "Auntie Lou".